Wednesday, January 31, 2007

It

I got tagged by the uber-cool Habeela. I hope my answers do justice to the inspiring entries for this meme I've seen around our little alliance.

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever.
Realizing a mile out from the finish line that, not only was I actually going to finish, I was looking forward to doing another one. And another after that, ad infinitum. It was the moment I became a triathlete.

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.
Absolute elation when I found, after the calf injury took me out of my other races, that I could still run, and I ran for longer than I'd ever managed before. It was then I understood what it means to trust the training, and the moment I knew I could move up to longer races.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
My swimming was extremely weak in my first race. Even though I'd done a little bit of open water training and practiced sighting, I couldn't swim in a straight line. I bounced around the course like a pinball, at one point swimming directly into a cement lifeguard stand. It was covered in balloons so we would see it. At least they protected my head from the cement. : )

Close second... my swimming was not much improved by my second race. I was so bad the lifeguards and Swim Angels felt the need to check on me periodically.

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
Looking up from my transition setup to see Nicole DeBoom doing hers 10 feet away. She was very nice - I couldn't believe an Ironman champion was encouraging me!

Close second... (but it wasn't my tri, I was just a volunteer) meeting all the Tri Bloggers at IMWI last fall and feeling like part of a family.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
That I deserve to want this for myself without feeling guilty about it. That there is nothing I can't do if I work hard enough for it. That I am stronger than I ever imagined.

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?
Putting the daily reminder of my health condition behind me by completing my weight loss. I hope to celebrate that milestone with an Ironman.

Ok.. I'm gonna tag Wylee, Veeg, Lisa and TriSaraTops. You're It!

1 comment:

DV said...

thanks for sharing your swim stories! i too have been followed closely by the kayakers, as if they are readying themselves for the exact moment when i beg them to pull me out.. Ha! Hasn't happened yet!