Friday, January 05, 2007

Got That Pesky Deductible Out of the Way

What a week!

It started with my first official visit from the candida family (thanks girls, btw, for your great advice - Husband was LHAO. 'Get some air down there' was his particular favorite).

Before that had necessitated a doctor visit I'd already made an appointment to discuss The Shoulder That Won't Heal. It's been six months since the original injury and nearly 3 months since the latest flare-up, which never subsided and has basically been 3 months of pain every single day, although the severity varies dramatically. I have days I feel like I can try swimming again and I have days I can't even reach for the mouse. In general it hurts to basic life stuff like put away groceries or reach up to get the milk out of the fridge. You can image the giant stabs of pain when I am trying to control the 85 pound Kona Monster.

This also means I've only been able to swim maybe 1000 yards in the last 3 months, each attempt aborted after just a few laps (the GYGO NY Tri was the exception, but I did limit it to a 400 yard easy pace).

Oh, and just because the Universe hates me right now my period started this morning too, which thankfully I noticed before going to the doctor, because it took far longer than planned.

He said we've waited long enough for the shoulder to heal and that it's clearly not going to get better on its own. Then he talked about expensive things. I blanked out a little bit after "cortisone shot" (scared of needles, which is silly because I give myself allergy shots all the time) but I got the gist of it - sit tight while I got get something big and scary to poke you with.

While he was gone I was looking at my chart and it hit me like a ton of bricks that I will turn 35 this year. (It's not the number that bothers me so much as the 'still obese' and 'still childless' part of the equation.) I went cold and lightheaded and could barely keep from crying (remember the part about the period starting this morning?). But I didn't have time to freak out too much before the nurse came back in with a very big, very scary needle. I made her promise to hold my hand.

She thought I was kidding.

She held my hand. The shot wasn't great but it wasn't bad. My arm went all numb and tingly (the injection also contained a local anesthetic for the pain) while the inside of my shoulder went all warm and burny.

Then he talked to me about next steps. X-ray today (just got back from the hospital getting that done) to rule out bone problem. Meantime, give the cortisone 3-4 days to work.

If the bursa is just inflamed, the shot could reduce the inflammation and I could be swimming pain free in a week, though I will likely need to do several months of physical therapy to get it back to normal.

If the pain hasn't subsided then it's evidence of a possible rotator cuff tear and he will immediately send me for a consult with an orthopedic surgeon, who will likely order an MRI to decide if I need surgery.

I saw my dad after his rotator cuff surgery last year. He's the kind of tough guy who can whip out his a suture kit and sew up his own leg after a power tool accident. He was crying like a baby from the excruciating pain. Needless to say, both my shoestring budget and my inner crybaby are hoping like hell I won't need surgery.

Right now my inner triathlete is jumping up and down with her eyes closed and ears plugged yelling "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA"

7 comments:

:) said...

Still giggling from your last post...

I am hoping that the cortisone does the trick soon (crossing fingers and chanting "no surgery, no surgery")!

Trisaratops said...

I'm just getting caught up...your last post made me pee my pants.

I hope the shoulder's OK....I'll chant with Flatman!

Lisa said...

I'm in the "no surgery" camp too! Hope that the shoulder and the other unwelcome visitors!

By the way, your last post? Hilarious. :)

Sixteen Chickens said...

What a drag it is getting old... la la la, la la la....

Sorry, just channeled the beatles there.

You know, my foot is still giving me trouble after a year. Maybe I should swim for you and you can run for me. There are relay triathlons, right?

LBTEPA said...

HUGS
what a complete bummer
Still... when I was 35 I was overweight and childless....now apporaching an even SCARIER birthday I am happily married, have a 3yo daughter and am giving 'normal' weight a shove (it's shoving right back tho).
Plenty of time, grasshopper....

Anonymous said...

I have a differnt shoulder issue than you do but, the worst thing I ever did was have shoulder surgery. Do everything you can first before you go under the knife.

The good news now though Is I can tell when its going to rain or snow. Still cant through a baseball overhead though. I guess my wife will have to teach our kids how to throw a ball. (When we have kids.)


I do hope that you donnt need surgery

- Rocks

Veeg said...

Fingerscrossedfingerscrossedfingerscrossed. . . .