Monday, June 04, 2007

Devil is in the Details

I brought my tire o' shame in today and Nice Bike Shop Owner Guy, after convincing himself that I did indeed blow the entire thing and not just the tube, asked me what size CO2 cartridge I'd used.

*Blink Blink*

Uuumm... they come in sizes?

I pointed at the box on the shelf I'd bought it from. He 'splained those were 16g cartridges and showed me a little chart that said my size tire needed a 12g cartridge.

Those were in a whole other box on a whole other shelf.

(Snarky aside: I should note that when I originally bought the gadget and cartridges I did ask for help, and nobody in the shop that day said word one about there being different sizes.)

I find it fascinating that, for all my diligent efforts at learning all the geeky little details that go along with this wonderful sport, this particular - and some might suggest highly important - detail has never once crossed my path. Even when asking for help purchasing items directly related to said detail.

I'm considering this a valuable lesson learned and feel relatively confident I won't be blowing up my shiny new replacement tire anytime soon.

5 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

It's so funny that you posted this; just before the weekend Baboo was showing me how to fill my new (650) tires, and explaining just that very thing to me: that I needed 12 g. I didn't know before that either. I'd have just gone and blown the thing up. your pain is someone else's gain, dearie.

Unknown said...

Ha! It's amazing what you learn each day on the bike. I'm pretty cool with bike stuff, can fix most minor things myself, but you still learn something every day. Here's to easy tire times for you through the rest of your rides this summer!

Sixteen Chickens said...

I bet you needed a new tire anyway, huh? :)

TriGirl 40 said...

I seriously just heard about this a few weekends ago, too. At least the bike store did tell me there were different size tire tubes.

TRI Vortex said...

Lets not forget the fun part about actually exploding your own tire. Rack one point to triathlon. Oh, and thanks for adding me to your site, I don't remember seeing you post on mine, glad to meet a fellow blogger. You may interview me if you wish...but please...no photographs. lol