Thursday, June 07, 2007

Not Exactly Swimmin Like a Fish

I made it to the gym for a swim yesterday. Hung out in the lobby with my friend/trainer M for a few minutes bitching about the fact that swim lessons had started and the small section of the pool allowed for regular swimmers was overtaken by screaming kids and senior citizens floating around with noodles.

As is the case at the beginning of every June, I was pissed because nobody respects the real lap swimmers at my gym even when the whole pool is open and once again my regular swim schedule is thrown out the window. Luckily the senior citizens saw the next wave of swim class kids coming in and cleared out, not wanting to put up with another round of kicking and splashing and screaming, crying refusals to put faces in the water.

As soon as they cleared out I took my chance and jumped in, telling the remaining two kids that I would be swimming laps in this lane. They weren't perfect about it, but I will say they respected my lane space significantly more than any other kids have in my 3 years at the gym, so I've gotta credit their parents for that.

Anyhoo, I got in a slow quarter mile, with many pauses to catch my breath. My new stroke is starting to feel pretty good, but as usual all the turning in the short pool made it impossible to get into a groove. All the turning seems to contribute to the breathlessness and needing to rest, so I do think I'll be better off in open water.

While I was swimming I kept thinking that if I go this slow at the race, my girls are going to have time to dry their hair and get a manicure before I catch up with them in T1.

3 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Swimming is the one thing that seems to come back quickly even after a long break. I bet you'll be feeling strong in the water in no time.

Fe-lady said...

What she said....once you get over the "hump" it'll all come back quickly!
Thanks for the kind words on my post BTW!

Kim Herring said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better and are able to get in some activity.

Congratulations by the way on your pregnancy.

I'm also happy to hear that frustration for lap swimmers seems to be universal. Here I was thinking that it was just at the gym that I go to.