Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dialed In

I just got in a nice 10 mile bike ride to test my nutrition plan for the race next week.

I know a lot of people don't think "sprint race" and "nutrition plan" belong in the same sentence. And if this was a routine sprint I wouldn't be that worried about it, especially since this was the summer I was supposed to bring my sprint under 2 hours.

But this race is different. Slowing down for babies in bellies and to enjoy time with awesome newbie friends means I need to plan for about 2.5 hours in about 80-90 degree heat.

My stomach gets upset very easily when it's hot and I've already learned in previous races I can't choke down regular energy bars on the bike. And sugary sports drinks make me nauseous in the heat, plus they give me stomach cramps (and other uncomfortable issues, generally about halfway through the run). I've been casting around for a while looking for a solution.

So I was super excited when a Dick's opened here in town, because they stock Cliff Blocks, which I've been DYING to try. So I did. And they're freaking amazing.

I've tested them several times now, in several scenarios, and so far it has always gone well. The big goal for today's ride was to see if they could pass the 'heat always makes me queasy' test, which would determine if I could use them in the race.

They passed with FLYING COLORS. I was able to eat one every 10 minutes without one peep out of my pathetically touchy tummy. I'm so happy it's not even funny. Solving this problem was a big key to moving up in race distance in the future.

So the plan for next week is dialed in. It looks like overkill when I write it all out like this, but between the extra time on the course and my doctor hounding extra hydration, it's actually pretty reasonable. I know hardly anybody carries fluids on the run, but since I can't choke down the warm water and Gatorade from the aid stations, and the little bit I'd get at the aid stations isn't enough to keep my doctor happy about hydration... you get the picture.

Bike:
- 16 oz Nuun, sip every 5 minutes
- 6 Cliff Blocks (1 every 10 minutes)
- Bottle of water (wash down Cliff Blocks)

Run
- 24 oz water
- Nuun (add to water depending on heat)
- Cliff Blocks (just in case I feel bonky)

9 comments:

Trisaratops said...

clif bloks = runner's crack.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Yay! you've got a plan! BTW what's the weather looking like?

Unknown said...

Siren, you're gonna have so much fun next week!

Lisa said...

Mmm.. Clif blocks are awesome, but I can only eat them on the bike. No idea why, but that's where I find them most appetizing.

So excited to hear about your race!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'm so glad you found a way to get your nutrition! I've found that the longer you practice and train, the more you'll be ab'le to tolerate, too. Between the Nuun and the Bloks, you've got it covered.

TriGirl 40 said...

Love me some shot bloks. Mmmm - cran-razz, especially. What do you think of Nuun? I just bought some to try - I have a hard time dealing with heat during runs.

Tony said...

I am going to have to try the cliff Blocks, I have heard only good things about them. Good luck in your Tri, and rememberto keep it fun.

Unknown said...

el Jefe got me some Clif Bloks as part of my B-Day goodies. Never tried them before...hope I like them as much as you do.

Big dogs rule!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your determination to participate in this triathlon as far along as you are!

You're going to have so much fun out there! Baby's first triathlon. Hmm. Where is the spot in the baby book for that?