Monday, June 19, 2006

Etiquette Question

I've got my first appointment for a sports massage therapist on Friday.

To tip or not to tip? That is the question.

My previous experience has only been with a standard massage therapist in a salon/spa type atmosphere, in which tipping is expected.

But this woman specializes in runners and works most of the time directly out of a doctor's office. I'm just lucky... I live in her zip code and came to her as a personal referral from our doctor, so I get her discounted rate and do the session in her home (as opposed to driving an hour to her office).

Because this truly for medical reasons a not spa atmosphere, my gut says this is not a tipping situation. But I want to be sure. Anyone know what's expected here?

2 comments:

Born To Endure said...

I have benefits through my company that pays for my massages up to $500.00, so I figure..technically i'm not paying, so I always tip. My RMT charges $40/1/2 hr and $65 for 1hr...I had a 1hr massage on Sat and I tipped him $20.00 he is a marathoner/triathlete and gives me tons of advice and he is always up on the latest techniques..he's great!! have fun

Me said...

I have to say, no tip. I do physical therapy for fibro- and go to spas all the time as well. I cannot even imagine tipping my therapist. That would be like tipping your doctor or dentist!