Tuesday, December 12, 2006

For Their Sake...

... I wish the world was different.


This is Abby and Sarah. They're the 15 month old daughters of our dear friends the McKendalls, whom we've known since college.

When Abby and Sarah were born we thought it was beyond wonderful that one twin looked like Sean and one twin looked like Cindy. I never thought too much about what it might mean for them, and their parents, as the girls got older. But it turns out this society is still far from colorblind and they are treated differently.

When I look at these little girls I don't see anything but the beautiful children of my dear friends. It bothered me to learn that they get so much attention for simply being who they are that they were even on the news.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

They are beautiful! I laughed, just watching the two of them interact. Let's hope society figures it out before the girls have to suffer for looking different.

jbmmommy said...

What cute girls! Sometimes it's hard to understand the world we live in. It's too bad that parents of those beautiful toddlers have to worry about stuff like that.

Spandex King said...

The world is a cruel place.

i am Susan said...

That is sad and unfair....I think they are super cute!!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I work with children, and it may comfort you to know that it is getting better, mainly because there are more and more people who have multi-ethnic backgrounds. The sad thing is that kids are usually not bigoted; they're taught that by adults..

Sixteen Chickens said...

I don't think they look that different from each other. I wonder what that says about me?