Sunday, December 31, 2006

Race Results: GYGO New Year's Virtual Tri

I did the Super Sprint distance, partly because my gym was only open for a little while this morning and partly because my shoulder is still a serious problem (in an 'if my doctor doesn't say something new next week I'm asking for a referral' kind of way). Because of the nearly constant shoulder pain I haven't really swam in a couple of months. My overall time was slower than I wanted, but when I thought about it I realized I was pacing pretty close to the times at my last sprint race, and this was after a couple months of not swimming or biking.

Swim
The water was cool for my gym (low 80s) so I was happy, but it's been so long the water felt thick and heavy, like I was swimming through Jello. I took it easy and only felt a few twinges from the bad shoulder. Even though it's relatively slow, I wasn't unhappy with time because I haven't been able to swim in ages trying to let the shoulder heal. The only interesting thing that happened was my pony tail holder fell out towards the end, and on the last lap I spotted it in the deep end. I took a few extra seconds to dive down to retrieve it. For just those few seconds I felt like a kid, diving for stuff on the pool bottom.

T1
Losing the ponytail meant I had to take an extra minute to comb out the tangled hair (yeah, I know, I should have worn a cap), but the real reason my T1 took an eternity was the age-old equation: spandex tri shorts + wet body = not happening. I debated wearing my tri-suit to avoid this issue, but I was already getting enough attention for doing this at my pokey little gym, didn't want to make myself any more conspicuous.

Bike
I'm still a bit saddle sore from riding the trainer two days ago, so I decided to go with a recumbant bike instead of the upright. I was disappointed with the final time for the 10K and I assume (hope!!) it's an issue with the gym's beaten up stationary bike. I was hauling ass at resistance Level 6 doing 90-95 RPM, but the time wasn't any better than at my last race, with 90 degree heat and 20-30 mph winds.

T2
Easiest T2 ever - I walked about 10 feet from the bike to the treadmill, re-tied my shoes and got running!

Run
This was officially my first triathlon where I ran the entire run. Sure, it was only a Super Sprint, but it's a big psychological step and I'm excited about it. And I totally negative-splitted the run, starting at 15:45 pace and with my HR holding pretty steady at 175, building to a 14:20 pace, then sprinting the last tenth mile at 12:00. I was also happy to see I was pacing pretty comfortably within just a few minutes of my 5K PR.

I had fun - even brought my obnoxious pink race towel to make it official - but it was lonely. Will be looking for a friend to do it next year.


Results
Swim (400 yards) - 12:11
T1: 8:14
Bike (10K): 27:18
T2: 1:05
Run (2.5K): 23:18
Total: 1:12:05

2 comments:

LBTEPA said...

WELL DONE!!
and Happy New Year :)

Born To Endure said...

Congrats!! Way to go and a Happy New Year to you!!