Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Just Another Kind of Junkie

Haven't really done anything in about a week, since the headache that wouldn't die took me out for basically 3 days and threw me all kinds of off. Then I let this week's general life stuff get in my way until along came another headache.

For a while now I've been cranky and clingy and not able to fall asleep, and then not able to wake up. When I do wake up, I'm foggy and groggy and more often than not, headachy.

I woke up with yet another headache today, which nagged the crap out of me all day and sucked dry any motivation I might have had for a real workout.

Around 8 pm my head finally cleared a bit and I was faced with the choice between an evening of Law & Order reruns or catching a quick swim before the pool closed.

To my own great shock I went for the swim.

It was slow and it was only 20 laps (~650 yards), and yeah, I should have gone for 30, but I decided the important thing tonight was that I showed up at all.


And even though it was short and slow and not really enough, it was just enough for a quick fix. Just enough to feed the need I'd almost forgotten about.

Not cranky any more. No longer feel the need to curl up in an incoherent, clingy little sobbing puddle in my husband's lap. And I think I might just be able to sleep tonight.

9 comments:

Jennifer P said...

Glad to hear things are getting better health and fitness wise.

Our wedding registry was a nightmare and we both hated every second of it. My MIL insisted we have one then everyone just gave us cash anyways. Baby registry was way more fun but no one actually bought stuff off it either.

One more baby stuff note: we didn't get a change table and have never regretted it. The Lentil is so active we just change him on the floor -- we figure he can't fall off the floor.

LBTEPA said...

Nothing like a lovely swim or (insert physical activity of choice here) to shake out thhose I-hate-the-world feelings :) Glad you're feeling better.
BTW why should you have done 30 laps? I think getting off the couch AT ALL is success!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Hi Siren,

Sorry for the disappearing act of the "500 Over 140.6" Honor Roll. It's back on my blog now and ready to accept more names. Please try again.

Also, good on ya for getting out there and training.

Stay tuned...

Steve Stenzel said...

Showing up is half the battle. Good choice!

Sixteen Chickens said...

There is only one thing I love more than a good swim and that's a good ____. :) I can't type the word but you KNOW what I mean.

Duane said...

Good for you on the swim!

Lisa said...

Great job for choosing the swim! :) I hope that the headaches stop. :(

TriGirl 40 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TriGirl 40 said...

Sometimes just getting to the workout is the hardest part. BTW - I love the onsies you've found - so cute! I can't wait to see the photos of the baby in them!