Friday, October 05, 2007

Gut Punched

We were informed when we showed up for yoga this morning that the gym is closing to the public. The manager has already been let go. All the classes have been discontinued and the instructors fired.

My beloved Yogini couldn't bear to desert us so abruptly and has permission to continue yoga through the end of the month. We are allowed to continue using the facilities through December... but it will be unstaffed, no towels, no water.

Several people just walked out. I sat down and tried very, very hard not to lose it. I cried a lot during class today, quietly, pretending I was drying my forehead as I dried my tears.

When class was over I barely made it to my car before I broke down and I haven't stopped sobbing since.

It's not just that this is the only gym in town that has a pool. It's not just that this was the only gym in town that included yoga classes free with membership. It's not just that it's the only gym within a 30-60 minute radius I could remotely afford. And it's not just that it's less than 10 minutes from my house.

This gym has become my refuge. It's my home away from home and the people there have become a second family. When I found it 3 years ago, I had barely gotten started yet had already lost my way. I was struggling, had gone as far as I could take myself, and had started to despair of ever losing the weight. The instruction I got there put me back on the right path, and the friendships I made there kept me on it when things got rocky.

Without this gym I would almost certainly have failed. I'd have gained back the little weight I'd lost and certainly more. Without this gym I'd be a 300 pound invalid with diabetes and high cholesterol and hypertension and I sure as hell wouldn't have healthy baby on the way.

I feel like someone just tore a gaping hole in my life. Like I've been tossed into a deep, dark pit with no way out. I have no idea where to go from here. All I know is that there is no reasonable substitute, and whatever I'm forced to do is going to be inconvenient and cost more than I can afford.

5 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Siren, I loves ya, try not to fret, you make friends easily and have a creative mind, I KNOW something good will come of this.

Unknown said...

Siren, it is a dreadful feeling when the bottom falls out ... but take heart ... as Wylee says, things will take shape. Just not immediately.

It's heartening that your yogini will hang in with you folks for a few weeks yet.

Jennifer P said...

That absolutely sucks that you're losing your pool. BUT -- getting outside to do all of your other training can open up a whole new world to you. The dreadmill has nothing on an early morning run. And a couple of free weights cost a fraction of your membership. Hang in there.

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry about your gym closing. Did they say why? I know something will work out for you, but that is easy for me to say because I'm not going through it. Hang in there. You are awesome!!

Melissa

Duane said...

:-(