Monday, October 08, 2007

Moving Right Along

Thanks to everybody for your kind words the last couple of days. It might sound incredibly stupid to some people, but losing my gym was a sudden and traumatic change I simply did not need right now, seeing as how it happened to be this enormous rock of stability in my life I planned to cling to as I adjusted to new motherhood.

I did some lovely wallowing and had a couple of good cries, and now I'm ready to do what needs to be done.

Swimming - This is the biggest problem. The closest pool is 10 miles away (~30 minutes), in a gym I can't even pretend to afford (Single membership: $500 join fee, $100 a month) that is so snooty they wouldn't even TALK to me on the phone about my membership inquiry until I gave the contact information of a personal reference who's already a member. They discourage day-passes, although if they're in a good mood and you're with a member you can swim for a mere $10. So. You can see how well THAT option is going to work out.

There's a rumor the local high school sometimes lets people swim in its pool. I happen to know they do not allow people to run on their track, so I'm not getting my hopes up about the swimming pool. I also heard they only let people in on weekends, which interferes with the traditional long bike and long run on the weekends. Although I am lucky enough to have a flexible work life, so maybe I'll have to suck it up and do my long stuff mid-week sometime. But the swim is my weakest event, I can't imagine how I'll be able to progress if forced to dial back to once a week (and only on the weeks they're not hosting an event). Someone is checking into the details for me, fingers are crossed.

Biking - Because Wonderful Husband got me a trainer for my birthday last year, this is not a problem. I hadn't touched the stationary bikes at the gym since last year. Case closed.

Running - A problem with an expensive - but logical - solution. I'd already started moving more of my run workouts outside anyway, and have even invested in some pretty decent cold weather gear. But I relied heavily on the gym's treadmills for running in bad weather (that includes extreme heat and cold) and for speed interval training (which I simply am not yet skilled enough to do outside). Plus, when you're overweight, it's strongly recommended to do a good portion of your run training on a treadmill to save your body from some of the pounding it gets outdoors.

Considering the baby is going to make it much harder to get out of the house regardless of the weather, I think it's time I bit the bullet and bought a new treadmill. I used to have (cheap, crappy, used) one and got a lot of use out of it before it died. Having one again would not only solve my indoor running problem, it will make it easier to sneak in a workout on crappy days or between baby feedings when there simply isn't time to get to the gym and back.

I also need to invest in something like a Garmin 305. I've been limited in my outdoor running because I can't track my speed or distance except on the boring 2 mile loop in my neighborhood, and even that data is sketchy because I currently suck at pacing myself. A Garmin would certainly solve those problems.

Not that I can afford either item, but at least I've got something specific to save my pennies for.

Strength Training - I hate this with a passion but I get that it's necessary. I've been in heaven since my physical therapist banned me from lifting, but next season I need to ease back into it. I will admit I feel pathetically weak since I stopped lifting - the muscle is just gone. I used the gym heavily for weight training before. My best friend's parents have a small weight lifting setup at their place and I've been invited to use it. Not great, and a far cry from my weekly weight training class taught by the personal trainer who's been helping me for 3 years, but at least it's something.

Core - I hate core work (who doesn't?), but I didn't mind the Pilates class at my gym because Yogini taught it, and it was free. I'm not going to pay for a separate Pilates class with some random teacher I'll probably never had time to go to after the baby comes. I should incorporate it as part of some double workout anyway, which makes a class illogical from a training standpoint. I've got a sports-oriented Pilates reference book and I can maybe buy the Core Performance workout dvd and just suck it up and do it at home.

Yoga - Yogini is working on finding a place that will let her teach at least a session a week. No word yet on when or where. Current options are looking like they'll cost me as much just for yoga as my whole damn gym membership did before. But I desperately need yoga and finding a way to continue it is a high priority - I simply can't beat my body up with all the other training and not give it something back. And a class is important to me because yoga is something I simply don't do even half as well, or as often, when I'm by myself. I very much need the guidance of an instructor.

So. That's the plan, if you can call it that.

Is it going to be all-in-one-place and 5-minutes-from-home convenient? Not remotely.
Is it going to cost more? Boatloads.
Will I have to completely rearrange my training schedule in incredibly frustrating and sub-optimal ways? YES.

But am I going to stop training because of it? HELL. NO.

10 comments:

LBTEPA said...

A plan! That's the ticket!
The whole gym-closing thing is horid horrid horrid and wrong wrong wrong, but it is what it is and you're doing a magnificent job dealing with it (hug)

Jessica said...

Hey, catching up here. I'm sorry bout the loss of your gym. Given your other gym options, I don't blame you one bit for being devastated. Good to hear you're formulated a plan.

If you can afford it, get a treadmill! I'm really bummed I don't have one! I keep trying to convince my husband that's what we really need, but he always brings up my gym membership fees. If it were not for the pool, I'd give up those fees in a heart beat.

Hang in there!

jbmmommy said...

Glad to hear you're finding options. You may laugh, but we love the TotalGym. Yes, the one that Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley sell on TV. You can pick one up in the store for $300 and it can do strength training and core.

Nothing's going to keep you from becoming the super-fit mom you've got inside.

Rocks said...

Bummer about your gym closing but it looks like you have the right attitude to deal with it.

If you are going to start buying home gym equipment I suggest Craigslist. It's amazing how many people sell their laundry hangers….I mean treadmills there. Lots of good bargains there. Oh yeah and you can usually get a totalgym for halfprice.

About the swimming situation is there a tri club in your area? There is one by me that rents out the high school pool a couple times a week. That might be an option for you. Surrounding cities don’t have community pools in the area that you can drop in and pay a non resident fee? I guess I didn’t realize how lucky I am to be able to share a community pool with the crazy kids and old water walkers.

Good luck on everything but it seems like you have it under control.

Diane said...

Man that sucks about your gym. I'm glad you have some options and hope you find a good swimming solution. Maybe wonderful husband wants to buy you an infinity pool for the holidays?!? Also have you thought about investing in a personal trainer to come to your house maybe once a week to help with strength training? You may be able to find one at a reasonable cost and it may be worth the $ for the motivation factor.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I second the Craigslist vote. You can probably get a treadmill and some weight equipment in decent shape for a lot less than buying new. To do core you really just need a good stability ball and some floor space. I think you can get it all to work without going bankrupt.

Sixteen Chickens said...

I KNEW that you would come up with a plan! About the pool, my gym doesn't have a pool either, well, ok, it has a stupid infinity pool, but that's so worthless. So I swim in the local middle schools pool, there is a program run by our city's Parks and Rec dept. Does the city you live in have a Parks and Rec? Worth checking out. It costs me 2 bucks per lap swim or 20 lap swims for 35 bucks.

A treadmill is the way to go! Then when the baby is napping you can run, that will work out so slick!

Diane said...

Me again! Re: your comment on my blog, I definitely recommend a training team. I was really nervous when I joined mine that the group was going to be hard core but it isn't at all. Skill levels range from total beginners to a group training for IMFL, and everyone is super friendly and nice. Being with a group at races is great also. Total strangers will cheer "Go TriGirl!" b/c of our team jersey. I hope the one nearby works out for you!

TriGirl 40 said...

You've got a great plan in place - who knows - you may even end up liking it better than the gym.

Iron Pol said...

Yep, the pool is probably most challenging. Lots of good ideas up there.

For running, after this first winter, you'll really only miss the coldest of days for outside. Pretty much anything I can handle, my kids will accept. The runs are shorter, and they have to bundle up, but they love it. And our jogging stroller is open. If you have an enclosed one, you're golden.

I would suggest going with a stability ball and medicine ball to rebuild core strength. Then you can consider other options if another gym doesn't fill the hole. You might find something new opening up in the near future, or your old gym realizing the error of their ways.