Monday, October 22, 2007

That Was Almost Too Easy!

He didn't freak out. He wasn't scared. He just GOT IT in a big way and happily trotted around the yard with the trailer in tow. He even instinctively put his head down and dug in when it got stuck in the rough spots.

That's the great thing about working breeds - even if they're like Kona (a poorly bred, probably puppy-milled pet-shop specimen who's not too bright for his breed) when their DNA for a job kicks in and they not only know what to do, they're clearly having a good time doing it... it's a thing of beauty.


Of course, we weren't taking any chances and tested him in very controlled, fenced-yard conditions. But it went so well that once we get another nice day we'll move out to the street and see what happens.

He's nowhere near well-trained enough for me to run behind the trailer - I'll still need to run beside him holding a leash. But, the way the trailer hitch is designed I can easily stop it with my foot to keep it from rolling into him. Just to be safe, we're still going to take a look at real dog-carting setups to see if there's a better way to brake.

11 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Go Kona!!

Unknown said...

Way to go Kona!!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Not bad, Kona... not bad at all.

Stay tuned...

LBTEPA said...

That is gorgeous :)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Cool! And to think I was just teasing when I sent you a photo of that sled dog months ago!

Larissa said...

Siren:

I just happened upon your blog from a comment you left on Greyhound's sight. Another pregalete! I'm newly pregnant and struggling with the tired/sick stuff - though it is NOTHING compared to what you went through -I was reading your archives, I hope you don't mind. Anyway - CONGRATS on the baby on the way!!!

TriGirl 40 said...

How cool! What a great way to get the furkids and the peoplekids out and about together.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

yeah, Siren - love the Kona pics... but how are YOU feeling? How many more days til we meet BabySiren???
(Are you sick of everybody asking that)
;-)
Jenny
xoxoxo!!!

Unknown said...

Best wishes with that. I had my own journey to figure out how to run with my dog (Bandit). His only instict seems to be CHASE!!!! LOL

Erin said...

Great idea! And such cute pups!

Steve Stenzel said...

That's just amazing!!