Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Long Day

Today I can respond to the Robo-Stu mantra with pride. Here's what I did today to prepare for my races:

I had a 7:30am meeting; after staying up late with my sick husband I got maybe 5 hours of sleep, so I was already not at my best as I don't tend to function at full capacity on less than 9. Made sure I had a healthy, pre-workout appropriate breakfast at the meeting.

From that meeting, I went to my 9:15 weights class. For once I arrived early enough to warm up properly, so I was on the treadmill for 20 minutes, including 5 minutes of jogging.

My advanced weight training class is 75 minutes long. Today we did some abs and some lower body and burned the crap out of our upper body.

Immediately following weight training I hopped on the treadmill (with GYGO on my mp3 player, of course!) and proceeded to do the fastest 5K of my life (which included 15 min of running, then later 10 min of running, so altogether ran close to 2 miles!). While 45:45 is far from blistering, it's a big deal for me because I'd set my dream goal at 45 min run legs for my sprints this summer.

I got home at noon and refueled (pear, yogurt, whole wheat crackers) but was starting to feel like crap in a foggy, sleep deprived kind of way. Did a little work and then decided to chill with a book for a few minutes before I made lunch.

Talk about a mistake - I promptly fell asleep. I woke up at 4:30, groggy, crabby and still needing to get some work done.

I sat down to work and at 5:00 the phone rang - RTP wanted to go for a bike ride. It was 60s and sunny with a light breeze. She's been super stressed (rehabbing an investment property for the first time) and hasn't been able to work out for months. I immediately decided that it didn't matter I felt like shit because she's been there for me a million times. And besides, it was gorgeous out. So I sucked it up, (and sucked down some caffeine, which I never do), and said heck yeah, let's go.

Sidebar: about a quarter mile in she said "what's that noise?' It turned out to be my rear brake rubbing on my wheel. (Hilarity ensued as we fumbled with my bike tool, trying to figure out how to loosen it up... did ya know there's, like, a lever built right in that does that?) Now I'm wondering if that happened when my bike fell over in the van on the way home Sunday, or if it happened when my bike fell over in the van on the way to my ride (see a pattern developing?) and contributed to the hellish workout that was Sunday's bike ride.

We did an easy 8 miles and it was great, all my feeling crappy and crabby melted away while I zoomed down the trail into the light breeze and the setting sun. Even got to play around a bit with my newly tweaked aero position, and it felt pretty darn good.

But oooooh my god, think I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow.

No comments: