Monday, April 24, 2006

Phew!

Doctor says NOT a heart attack.

We discussed the possibilities at length, and of the three possible culprits for my oh-so-scary chest pains, based on my symptoms he's pretty sure it was Intercostal Neuritis - basically, a pinched nerve between ribs. It happened to be situated directly over my heart and scared the crap out of me. If it continues to happen he said we'll seek out the source - he expects it's something happening with my neck (kind of like when your leg hurts from Sciatica the source of the problem is actually in your back). But chances are it was a one-off kind of thing.

He did, however, scold me for waiting over the weekend to consult a doctor, because when chest pains are involved he said you always worry, period. He explained there's this fascinating device called a "telephone" for addressing such potential emergencies.

He said my heart sounds great - slow and steady - and kicked me out with orders to "go swim, go bike, go run."

3 comments:

Born To Endure said...

I had this before too, I had off and on training for IMFLA in '04. Sometimes it would hurt so bad that I couldn't even take a deep breath or run. Finally when I got to IMFLA I went to the race expo and the ART people found that one of my ribs (which attaches to your spine) was out of alignment and it was pinching on the front of my chest..voila, they fixed it and I haven't had the pain since!!

Born To Endure said...

I had this before too, I had off and on training for IMFLA in '04. Sometimes it would hurt so bad that I couldn't even take a deep breath or run. Finally when I got to IMFLA I went to the race expo and the ART people found that one of my ribs (which attaches to your spine) was out of alignment and it was pinching on the front of my chest..voila, they fixed it and I haven't had the pain since!!

Lisa said...

Glad to hear it wasn't anything related to your heart, but it would have made me nervous too!

I'll pass along the idea of Gurnee to coworkers and see who's in for this year. It sounds like the number will be smaller than last year, but that's ok.

Your doc has good advice-- call next time, and go swim, bike and run! :)