Saturday, July 14, 2007

All Kinds of Pathetic

This week was all about first trimester flashbacks - I guess my stomach missed the fireworks it had so recently left behind. Tuesday was really rotten, Wednesday slightly less so.

But by Wednesday I was obsessing about the fact that I not worked out in 10 days, and I was caring less about how my stomach felt and more about keeping fit. So I just took the Kona Monster for a walk. I feel terribly guilty about him these days. Part of the reason I felt confident adopting a high energy pup was because I had a big training season planned and running a couple times a week was going to work out great for both of us. Instead, my poor athletic puppy got stuck with a summer of slow walks with a pregnant mommy. He still has a good time whenever we go out together, but I know it's not the same and I wish I could do more for him.

Just a few minutes into our little walk my knees felt all kinds of funky. Even though I have not gained excessive weight with the pregnancy yet (in fact, at 21 weeks I weigh 5 pounds less than when I started), it's clear that the weight that's rearranging itself to the front is making a difference in my body mechanics.

Thursday I took both dogs for another nice little walk. I actually felt pretty darn good - no funky knees this time - and had planned for an hour, but the setting sun sent us home.

Friday I went to yoga. But first, I had dry heaves and dizziness and disorientation. So much so that I turned down the wrong street and wandered around the hospital parking lot for a minute (next door to the gym) going "huh, this isn't the gym..." (I also managed to get lost in my own town on the way home from the gym because I'd detoured to drop some books at the library. The thing is, the library is on the same street as my gym.)

In yoga, I got dizzy with each pose and had to sit out a lot and just breathe. When I tried to do a pose where I had to lie on my back I barely got back upright in time to keep from vomiting suddenly. During relaxation pose (which I now have to do on my side) I cried silently the whole time, for no apparent reason. Oddly enough I still felt great, was happy I did as much as I could and was glad I'd gone. Yoga rocks. And Yogini was freakin awesome - checking on me frequently and making sure I had appropriate alternate poses when necessary.

That made three whole days of bare minimum exercise in a week.

But today I'm as sore as if I'd been knocking out hard core mileage. This is ALL KINDS of pathetic. I just found a therapist certified for prenatal massage - think it might be time to give her a call...

8 comments:

hak said...

Best wishes with the pregnancy. After watching what my wife went through with our two daughters, I'm glad I am a man. Whew! Tough stuff you gals go through.!

You may, or may not, find some good information from my friend's blog: http://www.wholisticfitness.com/joy/. She's a personal trainer, yoga instructor, snowshoe runner and most important, a mommy-to-be who is writing about her experiences.

Warm regards,

hak

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey girl, I'm glad you're trying to move the body around instead of sitting still and wallowing in the hormone fluctuations. pat yourself on the back for that! Be the way, you've been tagged.
rynwa

Jennifer P said...

Ick. Home you're feeling better and back training soon.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Hmmmm, reading about your queasy stomach must have done something to mine because I had to stop in the middle of reading your post and RUN to the bathroom. TMI? Sorry. I'll do better next time.
What do you think is messing with your internal mapping skills?

Melissa said...

You are anything BUT pathetic. You are AWESOME, INCREDIBLE, and that baby that is making you sick is so blessed to have a Mom as dedicated as you. Keep up the great work. Take Pathetic out of your vocabulary. :-)

Diane said...

Yeah you for getting back to your workouts! And prenatal massage is where it's at - sorry I didn't think to recommend it to you sooner.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Sounds like you completed a Tri To me: Walking the dogs, driving an obstacle course while trying to find your way home, mustering the energy to not throw up during yoga...You are an Ironman!!

Tony said...

You are not pathetic at all. IM ABLE brought me to your site last month and after reading EVERY ONE of your posts I think you are very inspiring!

You will feel better soon. Keep up the good work and keep moving.