Friday, July 27, 2007

Who Knew?

I always loved my goggles - Speedo Vanquishers. They're comfy, they came with multiple nose pieces so I could adjust them to my smaller face, and they never, ever leaked. I loved 'em so much I'm on my third pair.

Then, every once in a while, they started leaking. Even the newest pair. But not always and not every time. I was stumped. I was starting to question my devotion to the brand. I started changing how I fastened them around my pony tail. I started wondering if the shape of my head changed.

But, since I haven't been swimming much in, ooooooh, a YEAR 'cause of the darn shoulder, I figured now was not the time to experiment with new goggle styles. So I just accept the occasional leaks.

So, I go to the gym for a swim workout yesterday. Just as I went to put on my goggles something caught my eye.

A logo. A little Speedo logo. On the side of the lens.

A little upside down Speedo logo on the side of the lens.

Huh.

So I turned them over.

Put them on. And swam.

Guess what? No leaks.

Who knew?!


In other news....
- After the goggle epiphany I managed to swim 3 sets of 10 laps with 2 minute rests between sets. That's 880 yards; the farthest I've swam all year in a workout, and the best I've done since the shoulder got injured last June.

- It cracks me up that my whole workout is less than most people's warm up.

- More food aversions are fading away. Last night I managed to not only eat, but also prepare a lovely healthy salad for dinner. A few weeks ago I started to introduce salads again in a "pick one up from Panera and nibble at a quarter of it" kind of way. But until last night I haven't been able to face buying the ingredients or standing in the kitchen to handle them. I'm happy to be able to bring one of the healthiest parts of my diet back into play and feed my baby some real vegetables and healthy fats (mmmmm... avocado and walnuts) - all these McDonald's indulgences were getting out of hand.

- Yesterday we found a lovely set of secondhand nursery furniture in pristine condition. We paid more than we maybe wanted to, but for the quality of the pieces and the incredible condition the price was more than fair. We feel really good to have that big ticket item checked off the list, and for only a third of what it would have cost in a store.

- I heart yoga. I'm going there now...

10 comments:

Jessica said...

oh that's funny you noticed that about the vanquishers. I love mine and now I won't feel to silly about always making sure they were right side up (thought I was just being OCD). Hmmm. Now I want to try them up-side down to side if I have the same leaking issues you face.

Glad you're able to eat more foods! You're on your way to having at least some happy stomach times during pregnancy

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

oh, was just thinking about you! just printed out this recipe for broiled lemon green salad that i though -- hey, siren would like this!

i'm making it for dinner tonight with kabobs. nummy

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/07/27/broiled-lemon-salad-dressing/

Sixteen Chickens said...

I have the same pink speedo goggles, somehow I knew to always put them on with the logo up... but I don't know how I knew that? It must have been my inherent fashion sense?
Salad is gooooood! Congrats on the sweet furni score!

LBTEPA said...

oh what a relief to be able to eat some more things :)
And a swim is a swim, don't knock your progress!
Well shopped too!

Habeela said...

Yay for getting back in the pool!

Rocks said...

It looks like I'm not the only one to make sure that the logo was always up. I guess I do have some OCD tendencies.

But hey at least you found the root cause.

Good luck to you and your baby and even more to your husband. How is he handling the changes? I think I will be a total nervous wreck when my wife and I decide to have kids.

TriGirl 40 said...

I've been using the pink vanquishers for awhile - and though mine never leaked, there was a day when I noticed the speedo logo and realized there was a top and bottom!

Hope you had a great yoga class.

Duane said...

That was funny!

Steve Stenzel said...

Hey, don't knock your swim! NICE JOB!!

Lisa said...

What a great swim! I'm so glad things are progressing for you!