Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pleasant Surprise

A few months ago I tried to notify the Chicago Distance Classic race organizers that I couldn't use my spot and that they could give it to someone else. I got a response saying that I'd contacted the wrong organization and to try this other person in this other organization. I never got around to it.

When I got the race bib email last night I noticed the return email address was an individual and not a generic service one, so on a whim I decided to give it another shot. I just couldn't stand the idea that, if the race filled, some poor person would be disappointed while my spot went unused. So I emailed her her to say I understood that transfers and deferrals were not allowed, but that because I was 6 months pregnant I could not use my spot, please feel free to give it away if the race filled.

Here was the response:

"Congrats Michelle! You can transfer your race entry to any 2008 John Bingham Race. I am guessing that maybe the 2008 Chicago Distance Classic might work for you. Just keep this email and if you are interested in joining us for the 2008 Chicago Distance Classic, I will transfer your registration from 2007 to 2008."

Even though the official race policy posted on the official website says no refunds, transfers or deferments... apparently if you have a legitimate reason and can reach the right person they've got a fair mechanism in place to make it happen.

So, YAY for race organizers with a heart!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a jogging stroller to shop for!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a pleasant surprise -- and such a pleasant shopping excursion!

Trisaratops said...

That ROCKS!

Happy shopping! :)

LBTEPA said...

What excellent news :)
Happy shopping!

Steve Stenzel said...

That's surprising! Sweet!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Hey that turned out well!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

2008 is soooo your year! While Britney is dropping her kid, you'll be pushing yours across some finish lines!

Unknown said...

I've found that some race directors really know how to treat folks and others are just plain idiots. So glad you got to deal with someone who has a heart along with a brain!

Lisa said...

Hooray! Isn't it amazing what awesome "customer" service will do?

REI has some great strollers.... the Chariot is awesome because you can convert it into several different things. :)