Monday, July 30, 2007

Point of Comparison

It took time and tears and a lot of support from my tri bloggy sistahs, but I did finally accept that losing this season was just a temporary setback. Not even a setback, actually. Just a slight delay. And as time's gone on it's become easier to let one season go as what I'm exchanging it for becomes more real.

But once in a while I get a little sad. Yesterday was one of those times.

The Chicago Distance Classic is in less than two weeks. Yesterday was supposed to be my 10 mile long run. Yesterday was, in fact, supposed to be the first 10 mile run of my life. I know it's an arbitrary number and the important one is the 13.1 I was supposed to be running in just 13 days... but the number was a milestone in my own mind, and that's what matters.

Instead, I went to a baby shower. And got so tired just from standing at that party for 2 hours I had to go home and sleep for 2 hours.

And that made me a little sad.

But that's ok. Because the race will be there next year.

Speaking of which, maybe its time I finally started shopping for a jogging stroller...

3 comments:

Spandex King said...

While missing your goal is disapointing, it's also important to keep things in perspective. Your health and your baby are for more important than a 13 mile run. There is always next year. I dropped from I-Moo last year at is still kills me but I know it was the right choice. It is now my motivation for next year. I think about it everyday. Good Luck to you. Take care.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Oh, sweetie. Chin up!

Just remind yourself of why running and fitness goals are important to you and I'm *sure* there are parallels with what you year has become. So much about growth, opportunity and learning. And even more so about sharing. Just remember what it will be like to raise a beautiful child in a world of caring and compassion...and running! :) The numbers and milestones will still be here for the taking next year. And then your cheering section will have yet another voice cheering -- this time for Mommy! :)

Trisaratops said...

Hang in there, man...I know the feeling. Sometimes I get bummed out, too--usually around a big tri where lots of my friends are competing. But just think how good it's gonna feel to get back out there next year, you know? That's what helps me snap out of it. And there will be a new little Siren at the finish line, too! And that's just awesome.