Sunday, July 08, 2007

We Interrupt this Lovely Summer Weekend

Today was Day Three of The Headache That Wouldn't Die.

It started on Friday. I hesitated to call it a true migraine because it didn't initially have the hallmarks, but eventually the typical symptoms reared their ugly heads... and set up camp in mine.

Not that it matters WHAT I called it. Because I can't take anything I'd normally take for even a run-of-the-mill headache, let alone a migraine.

In fact, my go-to cure is on the Don't Take This No Matter What list. And the one thing I am allowed to take - Tylenol - had been, as always, a complete joke.

(Pause for colorful language)


So this morning, as the pain continued to increase and another bout of vomiting was imminent and I was finally starting to cry from the unrelenting pain I had a brief flash of hope.

There was something I vaguely remembered my midwife telling me - some crazy pregnancy-safe antidote for migraines. I remember thinking it sounded silly at the time, but desperate times and all.

I dug through my medicine bin (where I had at some point, in a flash of brilliance, stored the pregnancy medicine handout) and found the magic formula I was looking for.

- Tylenol (aka acetominophen)
- Chlortrimeton (aka chlorpheniramine)
- Coke Classic (do not subsititute, according to the doctor)

Even more amazing - I actually had a bottle of chlorpheniramine on hand. (The other two were a given.)

So I took it. Not expecting anything more than maybe some caffeine jitters from the pop. But folks, it freaking worked.

In fact, in spite of 3 days of cowering under a pillow and ice packs plastered all over my head I felt so much like my old self after only half an hour I actively considered getting my ass out for a bike ride... until I realized it 95 degrees outside. Not so good for me or the baby.

But at least there's a few good hours left in the weekend. Maybe when the sun starts to set it'll drop below 90 and I can get in a nice walk...

6 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Those pregnancy migraines are the absolute worst, I still to this day (20+ years later) can remember the agony of blinking. I'm so GLAD that you found something that helps! So, so glad.

Lisa said...

I'm with Wylee, I'm glad you found something that worked!

I'm a little frightened by the idea of pregnancy migraines though....

LBTEPA said...

OMG I am so glad you had something to help you!

jbmmommy said...

Yuck, sorry you were stuck with that all weekend. I'm glad the remedy worked. The heat's really draining me, the next five weeks might reduce me to the biggest whiny baby around. Good luck!

Unknown said...

What a relief that must have been!

(I regularly use a can of Coke to chase away low grade headaches before they get a foothold.)

Anonymous said...

yay for pregnancy friendly migraine solutions! Coke is my migraine favorite.