Monday, July 23, 2007

Spectator Report: Spirit of Racine

Sunday I cruised over to Racine to hang out with Veeg and watch Iron Wil rock the Half Iron course at the Spirit of Racine triathlon. I had a great time and got a really positive vibe from the course I'd been debating putting on my schedule for the future. (Debate's over, I'm totally going to do this race, although I think I'll start with the sprint!)

Without further ado, here's the photo highlights...

Veeg and Mr. Wil found me pretty quickly after I got there. We hung out near the finish/2nd lap split cheering for racers and waiting for Wil.


At first we thought it must be a race support vehicle, but as it passed as we got a good look at the very confused driver we realized it was just some moron who managed to slip through security and drive his car up the run course! This was taken just as a someone stopped him from driving all the way through the finish line.

We were so distracted by the bizarre scene with the car we nearly missed Iron Wil passing by! We caught sight of her just time and got big sweaty hugs before she took off for her second lap.


Since we had an hour before our girl would be back again we strolled across the beach, dipped our toes in Lake Michigan for a bit, then headed back to the cabana, where I inhaled the best hot dog I've ever had in my life.


Strong and happy finish... with a major PR!



Tri Blogger sistahs hangin out after the race.

9 comments:

Tony said...

Looks like you had a great timeat the race. Sorry for driving on the run course, I thought it was a short cut. The water there looks very tempting, maybe I should race there next year as well.

Keep up the good work.

Spandex King said...

Great report!! It sure pumps you up to go and watch these things. Thats how I got started. I went to watch my niece in Ironman. Life Changed. Good luck to you!!

Steve Stenzel said...

Great photos! I've never seen Wil look so jazzed!

Veeg said...

It was SO FANTASTIC to meet you, and Mr. Siren, and the wee Sirenette. :)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Pure joy and elation...the kind that can only be brought on by a major PR! What a tremendous support you were!!! Wanna come to Texas and cheer me on????!!?! :-)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Awwww you all look so HAPPY! It looks like a great day. BTW your hair did look pretty cute! Thank goodness for sunscreen! :)

Dances with Corgis said...

Awesome report! Looks like you had fun supporting Wil. That hotdog looks great, too :)

I might have to sign up for that race just so I can come eat one :) hee

RunBubbaRun said...

Good to meet you fo a minute or two.. The Racine is a great race, that is why I always go back for it..

Didn't know that had those hot dogs there. I think I needed one of those after the race.

Triteacher said...

F-U-N! Now tell me where to get a hot dog like that!

I'm actually not as close as you may think from my race report. It took me over two hours to drive to that race. BUT I still wanna meet! Are you volunteering at IM again this year? I'm kayak support on Sunday AM.