Monday, March 27, 2006

Ask the Question

I was captivated from the very first time the Kahuna mentioned that Robo-Stu asks him every day "what did you do today to prepare for Ironman?"

I loved it. And since I don't have an android training partner - don't even have Reluctant Training Partner any more - I put a note on my computer. Now, when I sit down to work every morning and peruse my land of post-its, I have to contemplate that question.

Here I've been struggling for 9 months with a weight loss plateau, tap-dancing with the same 2-4 pounds over and over. I work extra hard to move down a pound or two, then get busy or sick or whatever and before I know it I'm right back where I was. I've already aired my frustrations on this topic at length, the horse is dead and I'll beat it no longer. The gist is I eat pretty well and exercise quite a bit and here I still sit, so obviously I need to change something.

More often than not, my diet would make the average person look gluttonous, yet it's still not doing the trick so it's time to take serious action in this arena.

It hit me this morning, while I was making the decision for breakfast (cinnamon raisin bagel loaded with cream cheese? Hmm, not so much. Wheaties with soy milk? An orange with a slice of whole wheat toast? A Slim Fast?), that I can do the same thing I've been doing with my workouts with my nutrition.

So from now on, before I put anything in my mouth I'm going to make a sincere attempt to ask myself this question: what impact will this have on my weight loss?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's a good philosphy! I agree with Karyn too, about increasing muscle mass and not worry as much about weight.

So what have YOU done today to prepare for Danskin? :)