Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Crunching Numbers

I found a website that seems like it will be helpful for the whole calorie-counting endeavor. It's also got a caloric-needs calculator, so for kicks I put my numbers (height, weight, age) in.

I was blown away. The number was outrageous. I tried again, once at each of the activity levels, just to see. Here's what it told me:

If I live an X, then I need X calories/day:
Sedentary, 2340
Somewhat Active, 2650
Active, 2930
Very active, 3330

I think it's safe to say that I'm living a pretty active lifestyle, what with race training 3-5 times a week. And according to this, I'm not even eating enough for someone of my size living a sedentary lifestyle.

Sooooo... does this really mean I'm eating 1100 calories a day less than I'm supposed to? How is that even possible? And if I'm not losing weight eating 2200 calories a day, how in the world am I supposed to lose it eating 3300 a day?!

I don't even think I can eat that much. I'm already eating something every few hours and feel full most of the time. Especially with all the herbal tea and water I drink.

Guess it's time to make an appointment with a professional. I thought I was fairly well informed, I always knew that we should be eating more than we probably thought we should, but this is ridiculous. I need to know if this is right.

In the meantime, perhaps I could devise an experiment with the recommended caloric consumption? It would have to be something rrreeaaallly rich and packed full o' calories... A ha! Ben and Jerry, come to mamma...

********************************************************
Update: This site recommended 2500. It also said I should be experiencing fat loss with a net daily intake of around 2000... and mine's closer to 1800. Gah!!!

No comments: