Saturday, March 04, 2006

I Love the Smell of Peroxide in the Morning

Well, we made it about 36 hours before he managed to swallow something.

We spent the morning hanging out with the dogs, playing with them, pulling stuff out of Scout's mouth (paper, cardboard, kleenex, sock). He's got the attention span of a 2-year old with ADD on a sugar high, so it's a challenge to keep him engaged. We were right with him, watching him every second, giving him toys to replace the inappropriate things he was trying to steal. It was a great training opportunity - lots of times we managed to stop him with a verbal reprimand before he actually grabbed something. (He looks totally surprised too, gives you a goofy 'how did you know I was gonna eat that kleenex?' look)

We have these really nice hand-made bookmarks that my dad's wife crotcheted for us ages ago. Scott really likes his and uses it all the time. It was on his nightstand. It was one of the things we stopped him from stealing before he got there.

I was drying my hair with one hand and throwing the tennis ball with the other to keep him occupied. On about the third throw, instead of bring the ball all the way back to me, he started back but then spit the ball out and dove for the bookmark. I saw it happening, like slow motion in the movies, and I'm screaming NOOOOOOooooooo as I drop the blowdryer and dive at him. He already swallowed it.

Good thing I just bought a new bottle of peroxide. We got the bookmark back, but now Scout looks at me like I'm the Wicked Witch of the West.

2 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

We've used salt instead of peroxide, it works. Good luck with that dog, you need eyes in the back of your head. As for the tennis ball, did you see the movie Spanglish?

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I loved that movie... and I've had that dog : D

Your guess is right on Mip - you give a dog peroxide and it makes them puke. We have a bottle on hand, and with all of our mischievous pets we've spent more time than most in the back yard with flashlights inspecting dog puke to see if we got back whatever life-threatening object they swallowed.