Thursday, March 16, 2006

Small Victory

I'm entering the 3rd year of this whole exercise thing, which means the 3rd year wearing my trusty Speedo. I felt like the absolute shit when I got it - Me! In a Speedo! Only, like, REAL athletes wear Speedos! OK, yeah, I had to order it from the old lady, bigger sizes (I needed a 20), aquatic fitness line, but I didn't care. At least I went with the "contemporary" fit - none of that stupid boy-leg "conservative" cut crap for me. I mean come on ladies, you're in a bathing suit, you really think an extra inch of fabric is gonna hide those hips?!

The other night before I headed out to the pool I glanced in the mirror and did the usual 'hike n' adjust' to get the girls where they should be in the suit. They promptly refused and fell back to resume their march to my knees. This was all kinds of wrong, but it took me a minute to put my finger on it.

Then it hit me - my Speedo used to be like a tourniquet, the girls used to stay put. It was such a great fit that I quit doing run/swim bricks because I couldn't get it on under an hour if I was already sweaty. Now it's kind of loose and aaaaaalmost baggy in spots. Two years of chlorine exposure and a 40 pound weight loss made my Speedo TOO BIG. Woo hoo!

So I get to order a new Speedo. In a size freaking 16!!! Not quite as good as the smaller-jean-size happy dance, because swimwear has a stretch-factor. But still. It merits a little mini happy dance.

-----------------------------------------------------
Update
To answer the questions re: quantity: I do have two identical suits I rotate, and both are actually worn out because I was swimming a lot last year trying to learn and then to train up to race distance. I'm only ordering one new one because I'm putting extra focus on running this year, so won't be in the pool as much.

3 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Swimsuit shopping is my favorite pastime! Ebay. Need I say more?
What I want to know is how you managed with only ONE swimsuit until now? You should get a medal for that ;)

Deabora said...

Way to go Girl!!!

I am with wylee on the ONE suit comment!!

Lisa said...

One suit for two years? Sheesh... I have about 15 that I've been rotating through for about 10 years, and they're all pretty much worn out.

Hooray for the new swimsuit dance. It should be just as big of a dance as the new pants dance, because smaller sizes are smaller sizes, who cares about the stretch factor!