Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Timing is Everything

I was so stressed out from work yesterday I did the only thing I could. I called the client for whom I was going to be late unless I worked until midnight (again), got an extension until the end of the week, and went to the gym to de-stress.

On Tuesdays I usually do a mid-morning run. But because of my ouchy knee (still hurts, 10 days and counting, calling doctor tomorrow) I can only swim. So I found myself in the pool at 4:00 on a Tuesday afternoon, a very goofy time indeed.

As luck would have it, I overhead someone talking about hoping the water temp was good because she was heading in for 2 1/2 hours. I asked if she was on a swim team (she was wearing a college sweatshirt) and she said she used to be, but was now teaching private swim lessons!!!

I've only been trying to find a private swim instructor for over a year now, so it's kind of a big deal to me. I had resigned myself to working mainly on running this year, keeping the swim status quo (i.e. wretched), and trying to find a way to pay for the joining the outrageously expensive club with the masters group next year.

She usually teaches little kids (which is what she did while I churned out my 1000 yards) but is willing to give me a lesson or two and see how it goes. I figure since she used to compete, and because I stink ooooh so badly, surely I can get something out of it. For $15 a lesson, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Suddenly I don't mind so much that my knee's a temporary wreck.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good luck with the lessons! I used to teach little kids too, and teaching adults was my favorite part. It's so much more fun. Hope the knee feels better soon!