Thursday, March 30, 2006

Who's a Shark?!

Me baby! That's right, ME! (OK, maybe a little baby shark. With floaties and training wheels. But I'm definitely morphing into sharkhood - I can feel it.)

I just had my first swim lesson and Oh. My. God!! I'm SO gonna rock the swim this year! Best 15 freaking bucks I EVER spent. One lesson took 10 seconds off my lap time. 10 SECONDS! In our pool, that averages out to taking 5 MINUTES off my half-mile. That means one single lesson improved my abominable stroke (she was really nice about it, but I could tell it was really bad) so much that I'm gonna blow away the 20 minute Sprint swim goal I set!

I guess it was fate that I screwed up my knee and went swimming instead of running last week! If I hadn't I never would have met this instructor. Between money being tight, not being able to find an instructor and my newfound focus on running I was seriously going to let the swim go the way of simple survival for another year. But now it appears I'm going to do well on the swim AND the run. And hey, now that the gears on my bike actually SHIFT, hmmm... I might just have a hat trick!

I haven't been this excited about training since... I'm thinking since I ran that mile before the Bronchitis That Wouldn't Die. I'm walking on air over here.

The perfect ending to this great swim was bumping into one of the girls I used to be in weights class with - haven't seen her since she started teaching at another gym - and she told me she couldn't believe how much smaller I look since last summer. (And I was in a bathing suit, people!)

I can't wait for my next lesson!

No comments: