Thursday, March 02, 2006

He's heeeeeere...

This is Scout. He's my foster dog. Couldn't you just die from the cuteness?


Introducing him to Sable this afternoon was uneventful so we all piled into the van to come home. It took him all of a nanosecond to settle in.


He fit right in with my little pack (Sable and the dog-in-law) and from the moment he arrived they were playing together like he'd lived here his whole life.



He's a doll and is remarkably well-behaved. His only real problem, aside from needing to get an obedience refresher, is that he'll attempt to eat anything that's not nailed down (which is what led to him being homeless in the first place.) The good thing is that he'll sometimes drop it on order, and if not he'll let you reach right in and take it out of his mouth.

Here's the best part: I might have already found a home for him. (He'd been here for 3 hours - that's gotta be a foster record!) I mentioned him to my trainer because she recently lost a lab; no deal, all hers (the other 3) are black. BUT! She mentioned to a friend that I was fostering a yellow lab. This friend recently lost a yellow lab to serious illness. This friend is an experienced lab owner, and always gets their dogs through rescue. This friend knows how to manage a dog that needs a little training. This friend heard about Scout and couldn't get in touch with me fast enough. This friend is a freaking Dream Come True!!!

The only catch is that he's not mine to give; the vet's office has the final say because they're his legal owners at the moment. And a tech at the office wants him; she was in tears when we left today and I had to promise her I wouldn't adopt him. There's got to be a reason he was still living in the kennels at the vet's office if this girl wanted him, so I'm hoping the doctors decide that the stable, experienced family who wants him right now trumps the young tech who clearly has something holding her back.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Scout is adorable! I only wish I could afford or just flat out be able to have a dog.

Good luck with the adoption process. I wouldn't be able to decide, so luckily you don't have to.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Oh my is that an adorable face or what?!?! I'm sure he's going to get a great home no matter which one adopts him.

Violet said...

He's beautiful...I miss having animals so much. We had a dog once who chewed everything...he grew out of it eventually. He once ate his dog house that my brother-in-law built for him...it was funny...but oddly only to me.