Thursday, March 23, 2006

Divine Intervention

You ever hear music so beautiful that you're crying and you don't even know it? You're just so intent on what you're hearing that you have no idea tears are streaming down your face?

I got that again tonight - got it once last week when I heard a song from The Color Purple (my all time favorite movie, so had to be interested when they put it to music).

I rented Rent - 'cause hey, when he's out of town I sneak in the musicals when I can. And I was tired of being quite possibly the last person in the country to not have seen it.

It's not my favorite format for musical theater - it's not like a Phantom or a Miss Saigon or even an Oklahoma, where all the songs have beautiful lyrics and rhythm and rhyme. It's more like prose poetry set to music. But oh my god, the voices.

Bono once told an interviewer that they can always count on Where the Streets Have No Name - he said when they play that song, it's like god walks through the room.

That's how I feel about this music, about these harmonies, about those powerful voices that carry me away on their own strength, a capella. This is what the angels in my heaven are singin'.

I could listen forever. It gives me goosebumps, it makes my heart soar and tears run down my face. If I was at the crossroads today I'd get in line behind Robert Johnson to sell my soul for a voice like that.

No comments: