Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Do I Dive In?

My friend Regner just called. He's all "you wanna go swimmin?" Sure, of course, when?

Saturday. 7am. Open water swim race in Crystal Lake. Distance options are a mile or, for the IM bound, two (the race is billed as great triathlon training).

WTF?! (This is my hard-partying, don't-call-before-noon friend.)
Uuummm.... hm. Maybe not so much?

Then he's all "are you a triathlete or what?"

Um, yeah. BUT. I explained I'm not the kind of swimmer who can sign up for a swim race and, say, finish before they close the course and go home.

He said 'who cares?'

Good question. Do I? I dunno. Do I risk public humiliation and maybe a little hypothermia to do a mile at 7 on Saturday morning? I mean, best case we're talking 45 minutes!

I'm going to look like a fool if I do it. And don't even get me started on the fact that I haven't swum a mile in a workout since last year (and never in a race situation).

So. I'm thinking about it. I was all over it when he thought there was a 500 yard course option, but that turned out to be a misprint in the flyer.

It just seems like such a great opportunity. But a mile?! I've been working on stroke techniques and couldn't tell you the last time I swam more than a thousand yards in a workout!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'd say give it a try! What's the worst thing that can happen? I haven't swam a mile in a long time. Actually, I'll let you in on a little secret. I haven't been in the water since August. Yes, last August. At my last triathlon. Yeah. I know.

DO IT!!! :) (If I was going to be even remotely close to the area, I'd think about going to do it with you!)

Veeg said...

You can TOTALLY do it. Who cares if it's 45 minutes (though I'll bet you're faster than that)? It's not humiliation -- it's an awesome opportunity that most people wouldn't even be able to CONTEMPLATE doing. :)

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO THIS! and who cares if you are teh last one in the water? look at it as training. the first time i swam a mile, the longest i had ever gone before that was 800 yards and i was exhausted after that. but i found in my mile swim, if i push through from 600-1200 yards, slow and steady and just focusing on breathing, i get a second wind for the last 600 or so yards and usually finish them faster than the first. you can do this. YES, you can! :)

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

If you can swim in a sprint, You can SOOOO do this. Good luck - have fun! I'm envious; I love to swim but they only have running and cycling races around here (pout, sulk).