Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Official Swim Race Results

Hey! I wasn't last!!!

At 47:17 - a full minute faster than I thought - I came in 82 of 85. The person behind me was even in a younger age group, so that was a nice ego boost. The last 10 swimmers in the mile all had times over 40 minutes (the two very last were just over an hour). I had really, truly thought I'd be the only one above 40 minutes, so that did wonders for my ego! (We won't talk about the 19 minute difference between me and the person who finished before me in my age group.)

Even cooler... my friend Regner podiumed in his age group (3rd with an awesome 26:04, 23rd overall) and Swim Coach Marcy (even with a raging cold and not having swam in a month) only missed the podium by 3 lousy seconds, turning in a smokin' 27:10.

I looked through all the results, and people came from all over Chicagoland for this race - even had a couple out of staters. Turns out there a hotbed of open water swimming 20 minutes from my house. Who knew?

3 comments:

marz_racer said...

Great race report and swim time. I have the same issues with open water swimming. If the water is clear and no weeds I can cruise. If the water is dark and weedy I tense up, can't breath, and end up swimming with my head up.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! i think it takes me about an hour to swim a mile, never done it open water though. that was before my cast and loss of fitness. and if it makes you feel better, in any race i have done, i have always come in last in my age group. always.

i am so proud of you for doing this even though you had some concerns about it. you did awesome and i am standing up and cheering for you right now. YAY SIREN!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey, well done! Few people can make it to the end of the pool, much less a mile! Outstanding!