Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

I went to weight training class today for the first time in about 6 weeks. Between the tendonitis in my shoulder and then my calf fiasco I just had to take a break. The shoulder has felt perfect for a month and I've been swimming with no trouble at all, so I thought I was good to go.

Today we were doing pyramid sets, rotating 3 times around 5 exercises, increasing the weight each rotation (that's 15 total for chest, 15 total for back, etc). I made it halfway through the second chest rotation, maybe 15 minutes into class, and my shoulder starting talking to me.

I tried to do the next station and it started yelling at me.

I asked the trainer if these kind of chest exercises were, perhaps, enough to aggravate a recently healed case of supraspinatus tendonitis. She looked at me like I was a moron but managed to refrain from yelling "DUH!!!" - she politely said yes and suggested I was done for the day. She said next time I come back from an injury I should stick with just one set of everything until I'm sure I can handle it.

I feel like such an IDIOT! Hello?! Six weeks of not lifting at all and then jumping full-on into advanced weight lifting class. Fucking DUH. Now I have to heal my shoulder again.

In other news.... since I couldn't finish weights class I got on the treadmill and was able to walk 3 miles at a very brisk pace with no calf pain! Yay! That was the official milestone set forth by the sports massage therapist for when I'm allowed to reintroduce running!

2 comments:

Habeela said...

No no. Not DUH! This is why chiky-babe trainer gets paid the big bucks - she's supposed to make sure she knows everyone's situation in the class and help them out. This precise reason is why I strongly dislike group weight training classes - the trainers aren't paying enough attention.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I didn't know! I hope you aren't hurt for long. I know you are so anxious to get back into it. Soon I'll hopefully be working out with you again some of the time, although with my fantastic new construction muscles I hardly need to lift weights! Good luck with healing. Bek