Sunday, July 02, 2006

Not Looking This Gift Horse in the Mouth

After 3 weeks of non-activity I got into the pool today for another shoulder test and was shocked at the amazing results.

I felt pretty clunky at first and the first few laps were all about remembering how to move through the water. Even so, my worst lap times today were several seconds faster than my pre-swim-coach bests.

Of course I took it easy because this was about testing a recently healed injury, but I still managed to swim 675 yards in 20:49, which I'm pretty sure is a PR for me in that pool. And I could definitely have gone faster; in fact, had to consciously hold myself back.

I certainly felt like I could have kept going but I followed the doctor's advice and stopped there. I must say I'm happy with where I'm at given the extent of my recent injuries and am optimistic I can make it across that lake next Sunday.

I suppose I should be wondering how taking so long off I practically forgot how to swim made me faster... but I'm just going to accept it and be happy it's going this well.

2 comments:

Habeela said...

There is absolutely nothing as wonderful as a swim that leaves you feeling strong and invincible! Yay!

Lisa said...

Hooray! Everything seems to be just falling into place for you! Congrats on the great recovery. Slow and steady wins the race! ;)