Thursday, July 27, 2006

Two Steps Back, One Ginormous Leap Forward

I just got back from my swim lesson. Had to take it way easy because of yesterday's stupidity with my shoulder, so wasn't planning on doing much but continuing to work on my pathetic breast stroke (good news - I no longer look like I'm trying to commit suicide by chicken dance!)

After working on breast stroke for most of the lesson, I asked her to take a quick look at my free because my times have been going down the toilet. In the last few weeks I've gone from being able to pretty easily swim ~46 sec laps to swimming more like 50 second laps, even though I felt like I was working hard. In fact, I felt like I was working harder than I should and getting slower times.

Now, keep in mind when I started lessons just a few months ago it took me just about a minute, give or take a few seconds, to do a lap, so it's kind of silly to be sweating these 4 seconds. But I was. Especially since she'd gotten me down to the low 40s in sprint repeats not that long ago. 40 second laps has been my holy grail - that's the point at which my half-mile hits the 20 minute mark, which was a big mental milestone. Plus, I had to work so hard to get those low 40s it just about freaking killed me, I figured there was no way I could ever swim faster than that.

So. With my injured shoulder, taking it relatively easy, I did a couple of laps for her to check out. I did notice that today, for whatever reason, I felt graceful and streamlined in the water. Much more so than ever before.

I finish and she says to me "I don't know what you're worried about. Your form looks fine and those were 35 seconds." (Translation for people with normal pools: 1:59/100yd)

My response: "You read the clock wrong. I'm not capable of swimming that fast." (The other swim instructor, sitting behind her, busts out laughing.)

I did it again after my lesson was over just to prove it to myself. Sure enough, I was consistently clocking 35-37 second laps. I wanted to keep going but my shoulder was getting cranky.

I have NO IDEA how I magically cut 15 seconds off my lap times since, oh, last Tuesday... but I'm certainly not complaining!

6 comments:

Mojo said...

That is awesome, 15 seconds is major time being shaved off!

Isn't it nice when you feel like your are flowing smoothly through the water?

I want a swim coach now!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You are officially my new swimming GODDESS!!!

Tracy said...

Way to go chica!!!

PuddyRat said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I wish it was more up to date, but as you might imagine, I've been kinda busy (training!).

I would also like to suggest you visit a friend of mine's blog. I think you will find her particularly inspiring.

http://speedleopard.blogspot.com/

And when you figure out what you did to cut so much time off your lap times, let me know, will ya? I'd love to do 1:59/100 yd consistently.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Oh Puddy, I never said anything about consistently!
It'll be interesting to see what I'm doing when I swim again on Tuesday - here's hoping the magic doesn't fade : )

Anonymous said...

Sweetness! Your swimming is rocking. And thanks so much for the flip turn tip! Trying it out this week!