Monday, October 23, 2006

Five Thousand

As I approach my goal of running 5K for the first time, I also noticed that my blog is approaching its 5000th visitor.

I decided to celebrate these nearly concurrent milestones I would sign up for a 5K race in the near future, maybe one of the ubiquitous Turkey Trots.

Here's the catch: it's COLD around here!

I know there's races available, but I have no cold weather gear. In deference to my weak ankle, crappy knee cartilage and pathetic immune system I do most of my running indoors in general - all of it once the temperture drops below 60. But as my athletic horizons expand, so must my willingness to play outside in all temperatures.

I did some reading and some gear-surfing and have some vague ideas about what I need, but before I run off and blow a couple hundred bucks on cold weather running gear (by "cold" I mean "anywhere from -10 to 40 F"... but if it's less than 20 I'll probably bail) I thought I'd ask y'all for advice.

What do you recommend? What do you wear? Any brands to look for or avoid? I honestly don't even have the simplest base layer. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

:) said...

For base layering, I go the cheap route. Any moisture wicking material stuff I can find at x-mart or target. I usually just buy a size smaller than I regularly would when shopping for base stuff. It should be tighter to hold in heat and fit under your normal workout gear. For running in that cold of weather, I would suggest a sleeveless or short sleeve base layer, a thin long sleeve technical shirt and maybe even another long sleeve layer. But it all depends on your tolerance for cold. I usually run in shorts until it gets below 40 degrees, then I need some tights.

Just remember, for a distance like a 5k, you will be running faster, and therefore heat up faster. Don't over do it or you will boil... (speaking from experience.) :)

Habeela said...

I usually wear one long-sleeve base layer, a short sleeve shirt over it, and a long-sleeve top layer (I have a Brooks shirt that I absolutely adore). For my head I make sure my ears are covered and for my hands, medium thick gloves work down to 45 degrees with thicker gloves below that.

I'm sure you've found the "add a layer for every 15 degrees below 60" rule - 3 layers should get you down to below 30. Make sure the top layer is relatively thick and you'll be all set.

Can't wait to hear what you find and like.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I'm a huge fan of running outside, even in the cold. (My treadmill's name is Mill of Dread. Nuff said.) Three things I wouldn't trade for the world. One -- my long underwear long sleeve top from LL Bean. Not windproof, but a great layering piece and it has thumb holes to keep the arms in the right spot. Two -- gloves. I have runners gloves that weren't very expensive and they are both regular fingered gloves and have a mitten flap. Double the warmth factor and can still negotiate zippers. And three -- a skiiers headband for my ears. Sometimes it does the job by itself, and sometimes I combine it with a hat. Hope that helps!

Lisa said...

Granted I'm an REI geek, but I have UnderArmour cold gear as my base layer, generally a vest or powerstretch long sleeve over that, and a windblocking shirt (VERY thin) over that. I rotate between a hat and a headband, because I like how the headband keeps my ponytail up and more sweat evaporates, but the hat is warmer.

For pants, get a double layer pant, or at least a midweight piece.