Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Warming Up to Cold Running

Thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice about cold weather running gear - I went shopping today and bought a base layer and running gloves. I LOVE getting new training stuff!!

I found a killer Under-Armour base, but of the gazillion types and colors there not a one had the thumbholes I really wanted. I agonized over it because I really loved the feel of the Under-Armour fabric, but I ended up with a very similar Nike one with holes. I dig thumbholes.

I also found an impressive selection of cold running pants that (gasp) would fit me except for the fact that they're all cut for Amazons. Seriously - do apparel manufacturers think all women are 5' 11"?

The only gloves I could find at that store were for snowboarding type sports, so my next stop was the dinky local running store where I found the perfect pair. My ulterior motive for going there was to get the scoop on the Thanksgiving 5K I decided to sign up for.

Turns out there's no official sign-up because it's basically free and you just show up with a canned food donation. So, I guess posting it here is as "official" as it's gonna get!

My Last Race of 2006:

Thanksgiving 5K
November 23rd, 8 am
Lippold Park, Crystal Lake

And here's a sneak-peak at the main reason I'm so psyched about running in the cold. It's not official yet - he has to be tested to see if he thinks cats are a food group - but if all goes well on Saturday this will be my new running buddy....

6 comments:

Habeela said...

What a beautiful new running partner! And yay for the running gear with thumb holes! I heart thumb holes! :)

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Thumbholes is SO my new favorite word!

:) said...

That looks like a PERFECT running partner for you! :)

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I ADORE running in the cold. I wear running knickers and/or tights, a technical l/s tee, and a cotton t-shirt or lightweight jacket. I also love my Brooks running gloves.

Lisa said...

I LOVE the thumbholes. I heard from one brand rep that they call them "monkey paws" or "monkey cuffs," so that's what I call them. LOVE them. Did I mention that I LOVE them? hehe


What a cutie! Congrats on the beautiful puppy-- I hope that it all flows well! :)

strem said...

Gorgeous dog!!!