Friday, October 20, 2006

On a Mission

My workout schedule has gone out the window the last few days, but I think you'll forgive me because it's for a good cause. I've got a mission.

Late Wednesday Night
Phone call from my friend and fellow cat-lover Deb. She just learned there's a momma with a litter of four living under the shed in the play yard at the child care center she runs. She wants to help them but is not an experienced animal person and doesn't know what to do. She did offer them food, which they promptly devoured, and she was able to get close enough to see the momma cat a flea collar, so at some point was used to people.

I gave her the names of every no-kill shelter for two counties and told her to get on the phone to see if anyone can take them in. (No point catching them if they have nowhere to go.)

Then I tell her I'll be over the next day with proper crates.

Thursday 1:00
I arrive to find the hidey-hole under the shed empty. But I was pleased to see the situation - this is one smart momma cat! She picked a nice dry spot under a shed sitting on artificial turf inside a brick-walled play yard accessible only through a locked gate. Cars in the parking lot aside, she couldn't have picked a safer spot to have her litter.

After patrolling the area (a momma leading a band of four kittens is bound to be conspicuous, but no luck) I left a can of the yummy stinky food near the hole with orders for her to check the food status, then I went back to work.

Thursday 4:30
My cell rings - it's Deb saying there was a kitten eating the food I'd left. I'm very behind on a project but this is important so I ditched work again and headed back to the college.

Of course, by the time I got there the kitten was gone again, but at least I finally had a better description of their size. I'm guessing they're close to 8 weeks - big enough to (unfortunately for us) be acting independently.

So now we're not catching a semi-friendly momma with babies, we're catching a semi-friendly momma and 4 feral kittens. There's nothing else for it - I need a trap.

I called my vet friend hoping they'd have one I could borrow, but before I could talk to her I managed to find out (Google anyone?) they're easy to get and quite affordable.

Friday Morning
I bought one this morning and just got back from setting it. With any luck, by this time tomorrow we'll have the first of these cold, hungry little kittens safe and sound at the no-kill shelter that agreed to take them. (Animal lovers interested in helping a small shelter that opened their arms to this family of 5 can visit their site for donation info.)

At this point I feel like if we don't catch them it will be all my fault, but I spoke with my vet friend and I'm doing everything possible. It will haunt me forever if I can't save them all, but even if we just save one it will have been worth it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's so great that you're rescuing the cats! I'd love to take one, but unfortunately, we're only allowed two cats. Plus I think Cali would hate me forever. She's finally forgiven me for Harley, two years later.