Monday, October 23, 2006

Operation Cat Trap: Frustration

Got a call this morning the trap was sprung. To our surprise it was an adult cat no one had seen before. That brings the total up to 7 - the momma (all black), the all-white one I learned today that someone saw Friday night, and the black & white one we caught today... plus the 4 kittens, 3 of whom are still at large.

It's a LONG story, but because she could technically be the momma the shelter said they'd take her. But they really didn't have room, so when I showed up they tried to evaluate her on the front porch.... you can guess what happened next. Even as she was saying she wanted to check her for fleas outside I was saying to myself 'this will not end well' and it didn't. She got away.

Needless to say I'm furious. I understand the shelter means well but rather than risk something like this happening trying to help they should have said "no, I'm sorry we're full, you'll have to find another place." And we would have gotten on the phone to do just that. Instead, all we accomplished was moving a scared cat from the place she was familiar with to a place she's not, with freezing overnight temperatures already here.

In the meantime, we're calling other area shelters just in case, because we're still setting the trap for the other 5...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear she got away! I hope that you successfully rescue the other cats!