Thursday, February 08, 2007

Can Someone Please Kill Me Now?

The doctor decided it's time to consult an orthopedic surgeon. No big shocker there.

I'm thinking "GREAT!!" I'll call right now, maybe even get in tomorrow. I'll have an answer, we'll create a treatment plan and I can MOVE ON.

His first available appointment is February freaking 22nd.

I'm actually crying I'm so frustrated. The longer it takes to find out what's wrong, the dimmer my hopes for racing in June.

I did some reading and found out it's somewhat unusual for a younger person (unless they're an athlete) to rupture a bicep tendon, and most people just live with it. Most people who get them are also 60+ years old. Surgery is only recommended if someone's job requires heavy lifting or if the person is an athlete.

If it is a proximal bicep tendon rupture, let's hope they believe I'm enough of an athlete to deserve a surgical solution. Because living with it and living my life the way I need to are clearly incompatible.

5 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

I know it sounds like a long time, but February 22nd really isn't that far away. Surgeons like to cut, so I'm sure if it can be fixed, it will be. Hang in there, but not by your arms ;)

Veeg said...

Oh, I am so frustrated for you.

I hope they're able to find the cause and treat it, so you stop having such debilitating pain.

BUT! If all else fails, remember that you can always get a sucker, um, I mean "fellow athlete" to swim for you and just ROCK the bike and run.

Spandex King said...

One day at a time. It's hard to be held back but you will overcome this. Take Care.

Habeela said...

Here's hoping there's some kind of cancellation before the 22nd! And here's hoping they can fix whatever is wrong.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Oh, that is very frustrating about the appointment. Take care, and be patient...you'll be back.