Thursday, May 24, 2007

Kitty Crisis Part 2: Worst Case Scenario

The shiny new vet who graduated all of 5 months ago looked at her mouth and said she needed a dental. In theory that made sense because her symptoms often add up to a dental infection... but I had my doubts because upon close inspection, her teeth and gums don't look all that bad.

But, I figured a dental was as good a place as any to start, and we agreed to pull a blood panel to make sure she could handle the anesthesia. Then she took her back for Dr. L (the one who would perform the dental, and whom I've known for 10 years) to take a peek at for his assessment before putting her on the dental schedule.

Dr. L came back in with sweet young doctor in tow, looking grave. He held Sienna so I could examine her jaw, and then under her tongue so I could see and feel what he did. And I knew.

He said "I'm not the type of doctor who tells you to put your cat down, but..."

A tumor has invaded her entire jaw. It's why I thought her mouth looked puffy - it's grown enough to make the bottom of her chin stick out. It's either a squamous cell carcinoma or a fibrosarcoma. Either way, the cancer has advanced enough that she's already lost 30% of her body weight and is why she's refusing to eat.

Our options are extremely limited and would likely be useless against these aggressive cancers anyway: major surgery (jaw removal), radiation and chemotherapy. Incredibly expensive and challenging. Add a skittish, impossible to handle cat into the mix and you get an impossible situation.

We went ahead and pulled blood for a panel. What it will tell us is if she's even healthy enough to handle the anesthesia necessary to get a biopsy, which, since we're already in agreement she's essentially untreatable, would basically just tell us what kind of cancer is killing our sweet little cat.

Since she's already not acting like herself, refusing food and losing weight rapidly we can safely assume her quality of life has deteriorated along with her appearance. They gave her a steroid injection today to make her feel a little better for a day or two while we figure things out. Honestly, all that's really left to do is schedule the euthanasia. I can't bear to let her starve to death, which seems to be where she's headed otherwise.

***Update***


I just spoke with Dr. R, a dear friend and a vet I used to work for back in my tech days. She completely agreed with Dr. L's assessment, adding a detail he didn't - that these tumors can also be quite painful. She completely supports the decision to let her go and gently let me know this was a case that warranted making the choice sooner rather than later. I made the appointment for tomorrow.

10 comments:

jbmmommy said...

I'm so sorry. We've had our fair share of the "problem cats" diabetic, epileptic, blind, human-hating, neurotic (and others), but you love them all for something they give. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one, sounds like euthanasia is the most compassionate decision. You've been a wonderful cat mom, and no one could have done more, I'm sure. Good luck, and enjoy your time with Sienna. Those steroids can be short-term miracles.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm really sorry! That is never an easy decision, but I know you're making the decision with both your head and your heart and it's obvious you'll make the best choice. If you need a long distance "eye" to read how you're feeling, send me a note. We've been in the same boat with a diabetic cat, a dog with a heart defect, etc., so I can truly empathize.

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am sad to hear this. Putting a pet down is so very, very difficult and emotional. And you're already in an emotional roller coaster kind of place.

You'll make the right decision for your kitty. Take care.

LBTEPA said...

Aw mate that's bad news (((HUGS)))

tri-mama said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. We just lost our dog, and it's a tough thing. I've been meaning to stop by and check in on the pregnancy as well. That's fantastic- although I gather by reading not so much right now. Pregnancy is rough- I had similar symptoms 20 weeks of N/V then 20 weeks of heartburn. At times it felt as though I'd swallowed gasoline. uggh. But, I guarantee it's all worth it. Hang in there. and again, sorry about the kitty

Unknown said...

My sympathy on the outcome of your veterinary visit. After having put down The Cat Who Owned Me for 13 years (he was a stray at age 3 -- his people moved away and left him) in February, I have another animal (age 13) in precarious health. So I truly do understand where you are coming from. Sienna has had a much better life because of you.

Sixteen Chickens said...

That is the hardest choice to make, but the most humane one. You gave her a good life, I'm sure you will give her the best possible passing. It's so hard. The couple times I've had to do it they sent me out the back door of the vets office because I was a... mess.

TriGirl 40 said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about your furkid. You will all be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Veeg said...

I'm so very sorry about your kitty. What horrible news. :(

Sixteen Chickens said...

Her girl, I hope you're ok, I know you made the best possible choice for her.