Thursday, May 03, 2007

Where Things Are At

Today it was good to be alive. I was only a little bit queasy, not sleepy at all, got some work done, got some stuff taken care of for the baby's bathroom, and took the dogs for a 45 minute walk.

That last thing is the really important one - it's by far the longest I've been able to do anything remotely resembling physical activity in 6 weeks. And I felt faaaaantastic while I was doing it - every inch of me was itching to break into a run, but I managed to hold myself back.

Here's the thing - I've got a triathlon in about 7 weeks. And I really want to do it. REALLY really really really really want to do it.

My doctor has been super supportive - she gets this is who I am and what my body is used to doing now. She feels that as long as I use common sense, don't get overheated, stay hydrated and keep my HR within the rigid limits established for pregnant women (140, which for me means running is off limits) then it's safe for me to do the race. As long as I realize I'm not allowed to get competitive about it and actually race. Which I'm more than fine with. (OK, I wasn't at first, but it's amazing the kind of perspective you get after puking nonstop for 6 weeks.)

I freaked out pretty badly about all these new restrictions at first - some of my yet-to-be-unhidden posts will rant about that. But now I'm thrilled to think that I might actually get to do a triathlon in less than two months! Even under these restrictions, just showing up to try one thing is better than being forced to ditch my entire season.

In other news...

Had my second ultrasound yesterday. The heart beat is really strong, and the baby was kicking its feet and punching its arms around - clearly already working on swim stroke and pedal cadence. More than once it looked for all the world like the baby was waving at us. I cried like a giant dork. It was great.

After the great test results the doctor said things are perfect and reiterated her support for my plans to attempt the race in 7 weeks. I had to promise to drop out if it gets too hot or I feel funny, but I'm more than cool with that. No way am I going to endanger the baby over a stupid race. But if it works out... I can hardly wait. To share the experience with my girls, to be there for their first race, to take the baby through her (wishful thinking!) first race.... It's gonna be GREAT.

7 comments:

Veeg said...

HOLY. SHIT!

I have been MIA for some time, and I missed your big announcement!

I hated, hated, hated being pregnant, but being a mom is the coolest. :)

Sixteen Chickens said...

I'm glad to see you're still on for the tri, don't worry about getting competitive, we aren't the competitive type, well maybe not until the last 50 yards, LOL!

Lisa said...

So which race is planned? I haven't picked any races yet.

I still have to mail in the chip-- I feel weird, I've never had to mail one in before! Sorry, it's been a hell of a week. Between store work, sale prep, sale, my cousin's wedding tomorrow, and attending the wake for a friend's brother.... I've forgotten more than once.

If you end up getting charged or anything let me know, and I'll pay for it-- I'm trying to get it in the mail tomorrow, instead of carrying it around. Sorry. :(

Habeela said...

Yes, yes, we must know which race you're planning on doing. Being pregnant, doing your first tri while being pregnant - it's all so exciting! :D

LBTEPA said...

Oh that is great news about all those things :)
Take care

jbmmommy said...

Looking forward to hearing all about your first tri, hope you're continuing to feel better.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

strong heartbeat, kicking and waving...couldn't be better news!

all the puking aside, I'm so very excited for ya!